People planning weddings spend a lot of money, and that of course, attracts a lot of scammers! Think about some of these basic tips for avoiding wedding day scams:
1. Avoid paying large fees up front. Often scammers will pose as legitimate businesses and disappear on your wedding day.
2. Talk to friends, family and trusted sources about what wedding vendors and wedding planners they used and their experiences.
3. Monitor your credit, get in the habit of getting credit reports.
4. You’ll be getting a lot of e-mails from new and unknown sources, consider anti-virus software.
5. Many people sign contracts with vendors without reading through them with a critical eye. Read everything and make sure you understand what you’re agreeing to before making it legal.
6. Pay with a credit card. Disputing a transaction is easier with a credit card than with a check. Just be careful not to let the credit card become a vehicle for spending more than you can afford.